On the morning of July 17, MV Asian Forest left New Mangalore Port
with 13,000 tonnes of iron ore to China.
Within two hours of leaving harbour, due to bad weather,
the ship started listing dangerously
and finally the all Chinese crew had to abandon the vessel.
In response to the distress call made by the vessel,
Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Sankalp rendered all necessary
assistance to the vessel and her crew.
Some interesting features of the rescue and ICGS Sankalp are:
MV Asian Forest crew rescue (Image credit – P and F Marine Co.,
* 13 crew members out of 18 of the vessel could manage to
* reach the shore by lifeboat as the incident occurred about
* 15 nautical miles from shore.
* The five officers including the captain, abandoned the
* vessel finally when the vessel listed around 50 degrees to
* port, and were brought to shore by ICGS Sankalp.
* All necessary medical assistance was provided.
* The vessel is operated by P and F Marine Co., Ltd.