Good detailed report showing how easy it is to start
a fire in an engine room.
In this case vibration loosened two allen screws
on the fuel suction pipe to the No 1 generator fuel pump.
ATSB found that the crew had used the incorrect torque
in tightening these screws;
they had mistakenly used the torque for a different set of screws.
ATSB thinks source of ignition was the generator exhaust
manifold which was not sufficiently screened against
spray from the hot box.
Hot box allowed fuel to flow from the hot box to the bilge
where a bilge fire ensued.
Prompt courageous action by the crew
kept this fire from turning into a major casualty.
A big factor was that they had earlier retrofitted
isolating valves in the fuel supply and return lines
to the generator, which they were able to use to
shut off the fire's fuel supply.
It is likely that many unexplained ER fires/explosions
in the CTX database had such humble origins:
very minor crew error combined with a modest design defect.